[thechat] Japanese translation

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun Mar 23 22:53:21 CST 2003

Kevin Stevens wrote:
> If I remember correctly, one of our number works in Japan and, I'm
> presuming, knows a bit of the language. My wife has won yet another
> competition, more for my benefit really, which is backstage passes to
> meet a Japanese band (the Mad Capsule Markets if you have heard of them)

SUPERB!  MCM absolutely rock!

> when they play London this week. I have seen them before and I know
> their grasp of English isn't good so we would like to at least greet
> them in their own language. A Dutch friend of ours has sent us this
> greeting, and he's not the sort of guy who would wind us up, but I would
> just like confirmation that I would not be saying anything offensive or
> stupid.
>
> Konban-wa

here's the Truman Show suite in full:

  good morning: "ohayo gozaimasu"
good afternoon: "konnichiwa"
  good evening: "konbanwa"
    good night: "oyasumi nasai"

> Hajimemashite

"Nice to meet you"

> Kevin desu

Yes, that's exactly "I'm Kevin"

> Yoroshiku onegaishimasu

another literal translation of this is "I'll be counting on you", but
apparently literal translations don't do the implied meaning of the phrase
justice - a more appropriate translation implies a way of humbling yourself
to another, and that you look forward to receiving the other person's favour
and co-operation in the future.  Culturally speaking, this is a very popular
sentiment in Japan.

I really can't sing enough praises for
http://www.jp.from-hanna.com/learn/phrase/ which has these phrases, and
should give you some more pointers for basic conversation,

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like