[thechat] protests?

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Mon Mar 24 06:38:53 CST 2003

>  You don't approve of Bush's actions? Vote him out
> in the next election. Until then, he remains the elected leader of the
> nation, even if the system that elected him sucks. That democratic system
> gives him more power than you. (Fix the system too, btw.)

That kind of implies that once someone is in power you have to wait 4 years
until you can officially get rid of them, which should not be the case. How
else are you supposed to get rid of a bad leader, and, in Bush's case, one
that only just scraped in by cheating, if you don't protest? Remember, there
were just as many who didn't vote for him who probably want change now, not
at the next election.
It's strange how public perception has changed over here. Many people have
expressed the opinion that, now conflict has started, it is not right to
protest because it means were are not supporting our troops. This idea comes
from the media and is so far from the truth as to be insulting, yet so many
people are being brainwashed by it., my own mother included, and she is an
intelligent woman but, unfortunately, prone to believing media hype.
My point is, when this is all over, and the elections come around the press
will be full of images like the American flag being raised over Baghdad and
Iraqi people cheering their liberators, not pictures of starving orphans,
and everyone will vote for them again. And the price of petrol will probably
fall dramatically as well, just so as you forget that 80% of the price goes
to the Government.

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk