[thechat] A balance of opinion.

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Mon Mar 24 13:51:38 CST 2003

rudy wrote:
>>> We'll get to you in a moment, kid.
>>> Right now the grown-ups are talking.
>>
>> Uh, maybe the grown-ups are whining?
>> Just a thought...
>
> +1
>
> i thought it very interesting that the strong anti-war sentiments put forth
> here, wrapped in the "right" of free speech, reacted so childishly when a
> strong pro-war sentiment surfaced
>
> dev null indeed
>
> how adult

Indeed, it was the adult response.  "All you war protesters, please shut
up." has zero semantic content.  There is nothing intellectual to
respond to.  Hence the most adult response is ignore the troll and make
sure the troll knows you won't rise to their bait.  You have been on the
net long enough to know that's the only way to deal with a troll.

> seems you anti-war folks can dish it out, but not take it
>
> as a canadian, whose prime minister refused to join the coalition (the
> weasel), i have opinions about this war that are perhaps somewhat off the
> norm for this discussion list, which seems to be populated in large part by
> left-wing americans
>
> protesting is fine, i have nothing against it, but all too often it is
> confrontational instead of intellectual

Agreed.  I actually prefer confrontational AND intellectual.  That's one
of the reasons I don't protest much.  There are a number of people who
protest just for the sake of protesting.  I do not believe that most of
the people on this list fit in that category.  Most of the arguments
have been cogent and reasoned, both for and against.  I appreciate that.
I do not appreciate people who tell me to shut up.  Notice, I have not
told anyone else to shut up.  Nor will I.

> nothing says "me me me me me me me" quite like people who compare bush to
> hitler
>
> how adult is that, eh

Once again, I agree.  Notice Bill pointing out that he may not agree
with Bush, but he certainly doesn't believe the Bush is worse than
Hitler.  I think that Erik's comment was untrue and irresponsible.
Nonetheless, Heironymous' comments were derogatory, unsupportable,
anti-intellectual and rude.  And it was, indeed, whining.

Judah