[thechat] A balance of opinion.

Bill Haenel mail at webmarketingworx.com
Mon Mar 24 14:43:29 CST 2003

> which is just as true as: "supporting the war is fine, but all too often
> it is knee-jerk instead of intellectual"

I think sometimes the knee-jerk reaction is misunderstood. For those of us
who have family and friends in combat, it is not only difficult, but also
quite confusing to figure out how to voice an opinion one way or the other.
On the one hand, I wish this had never happened and I really want to tell
the world about that feeling. On the other hand, it DID happen, and I know
that if I want to see my family member and my very close friend come back
alive I shouldn't protest.

It may sound hackneyed, but it is so important for soldiers to know that
their people are behind them. Protesting kinda clouds that a bit. It's like
booing for the home team. When they know we're not behind them, they begin
to doubt. They lose their belief in the cause, they lose their focus and
their will to meet the objective, and they die.  They don't hear the people
who are saying "we support our troops but not the war". For the soldiers,
it's all about the war. Either we believe in it and in them, or we don't.
Debate it if you want, but that's the way it is.

I would never suggest that anyone here or elsewhere shouldn't give up their
right to protest, but I am saying that for myself, I just CAN'T. Pretty
knee-jerk, eh? But what would YOU do?

> i'm irritated by those who see the Iraqi Invasion as a logical response to
> 9/11. no connection has been proved between Iraq and Al Queda.

A connection has not been disproved, either. I'm not saying I believe
everything I read in the papers, but here's an interesting read anyway:
http://www.iht.com/articles/84885.html

BH