[thechat] A balance of opinion.

Heironymous Bosch jeromebosch at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 24 16:16:49 CST 2003

erik wrote:

><http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/2056537/detail.html>
>(warning: be prepared to cry)

Cry?  Why?  That a soldier in war was killed???

NEWS FLASH:  Dog bites man!!

By the way, I saw the follow-up interview with the father on TV.  The father
supported the war, but the loss of his son has made him less than certain of
that conviction.  AS you Americans say:  Well, duh.

Listen, if you are a parent, you will understand this:  Up to a certain age,
it is acceptable, to sometimes give a naughty child a smack on the bottom in
order to get her attention that the behaviour she is exhibiting is not
acceptable. Once she has matured beyond a certain age, it is no longer
acceptable.  But this is because SHE WILL LISTEN AND UNDERSTAND AND COMPLY.

In the life-cycle of this planet, several nations are behaving like two year
olds, and need to be smacked.  Others (certain European nations come to
mind) are full-fledged adults, and are worthy world citizens.

The US is like a 19 year old. An adult. In the full glory, the peak, of
maturity. Not an old has-been like England. Not a toothless old hag like
Russia. Somebody has to be the world policeman. Somebody has to be the
adult. Somebody has to smack Iraq on the bottom. Once ALL the nations of the
world have grown up, war may no longer be necessary. In the meantime, I
would rather have the US put evil regimes down and ensure regional peace.

Just like a parent is reluctant to smack his child, so the US is reluctant
to start a war without good reason. Some of you may feel that no reason is
ever sufficient. Fine. Go live in some other country and see if you like it
better.

And as for soldiers dying in war, how many of the US military in Iraq are
involuntary conscripts? They are there because THEY JOINED THE MILITARY. If
you train to be a soldier, you have no one to blame if you are asked to BE
one.

I do not cry for the dead US soldiers. (Actually I do, but that is not the
point I want to make.) I cry for the Iraqis, Iranians, Kuwaitis, and Kurds
that Saddam slaughtered. He does not listen to the United Nations. He spits
in their faces. The United Nations, especially the spineless French, choose
appeasement. Since we are making comparisons to World War II, let me say
this:  Chamberlain.

This is a just war.  The US is to be commended.

Jerome