[thechat] A balance of opinion.

Bill Haenel mail at webmarketingworx.com
Mon Mar 24 17:15:10 CST 2003

> No, but I served in the U.S. Army, 1968-1971, and I protested
> the Viet Nam war before, during, and after my service.

I'm sorry you had that experience. I assume it was not a good one.

> And maybe if *more* people had protested then, there wouldn't
> be so many names on The Wall in Washington...

Many people did protest, didn't they? I ask you sincerely, do you think
that more protestors would have ended the war sooner? It seems hard to
believe considering the fact that so many protested and yet we did not
pull out until things got really far worse than bad. Maybe if more
protested *sooner*.

It is interesting to me that you feel this way. I have one other friend
who is also a Viet Nam vet, and he feels completely the opposite of the
way you do. In fact, I spoke with him around the time that the protests
to this war began, and he was the first person I heard use the words
"unpatriotic" in regard to the protests. He is nearly 30 years my senior
(I'm 32 myself) and I chose not to disrespect him by pointing out how
ridiculous I found his comment. He also told me how he felt coming home
to a country that he felt no longer wanted "his kind" around.

> I hope those dear to you come home safely.

Thank you Hassan. So do I.

BH