[thechat] A balance of opinion.

Bill Haenel mail at webmarketingworx.com
Mon Mar 24 17:29:24 CST 2003

> Listen, if you are a parent, you will understand this:  Up to
> a certain age, it is acceptable, to sometimes give a naughty child a
smack
> on the bottom in order to get her attention that the behaviour she is
> exhibiting is not acceptable. Once she has matured beyond a certain
age, it is
> no longer acceptable.  But this is because SHE WILL LISTEN AND
> UNDERSTAND AND COMPLY.

Oops. Now you've gone and done it.

I have four kids myself. I come from a background that taught me
discipline is about structure, not punishment. We're pretty strict about
the rules with our children. You can't have four and not be strict, lest
they get the better of you! But we enforce the rules with assertive
discipline, not physical punishment. "Acceptable?" Most experts agree
these days that physical punishment only teaches a child how to use
force to get their way.

Anyway, it's probably not smart to assume that the US is entitled to
some parental role of superiority over smaller countries who are merely
our children who require punishment. We've really done nothing to
deserve that right.

BTW, I have a 19 year-old brother. He is far from mature. He's more like
a big, dorky, overgrown 3 year old who always has a tantrum when he
doesn't get his own way. Sounds like GWB, no?

BH