[thechat] protests?

deacon b. web at master.gen.in.us
Wed Mar 26 00:57:47 CST 2003

> deacon b. wrote:
> > The electoral college serves a very valid purpose - it
> > makes it a lot more *certain* who lives at 1600
> > Pennsylvania Avenue. Better the guy who's second-
> > best than nobody at all!

> That's not why the electoral college was created at all.  It was
> created as a compromise between individual/states rights folks and
> federalists.

Should "why it was created" really matter at this
point? It exists - and it has a *very* good reason to
continue to exist.

Compare it to the internet, designed to make war
research more effective and efficient, but eBay,
Amazon, e-Trade and Travelocity are very good
reasons to want to keep it going.

> I voted for Bush. It was a close call, but
> Republicans are against running a deficit, are
> against expanding > the government, and
> there's never been a war started in a Republican
> administration. Who was I to know that Bush really
> was a Democrat?

> To note:
> The Japanese started the Second World War (as far as US involvement
> goes).

I was unaware that the Japanese ran the US
government in December 1941.

> Reagan and his supply side economics were also responsible for the
> largest ballooning of the federal deficit in history up until this
> administration.

Yeah? The Reagan tax cuts *increased* federal
revenues. Yes, federal spending increased even
faster than revenues, but this was primarily because
of programs passed *before* Reagan went into
office.

> The Reagan and Bush I administrations were also
> directly responsible for the greatest expansion of government
> intrusion into private behavior, known as the War On Drugs.

Lyndon Johnson started the War on Drugs in
December 1964 with the Single Convention on
Narcotic Drugs.

> Democrats have done plenty of stupid shit while in office.  But nobody
> gets off claiming that Republicans are all about smaller government
> and fiscal responsibility.  That's just laughable.

The modern democratic party has been built
primarily on the social welfare accomplishments of
Franklin Roosevelt and to a lesser degree, Lyndon
Johnson. Lyndon Johnson was especially
impressive. Who would have thought that a
southerner would have fought so effectively and so
hard for racial equality?

The modern republican party has been built on the
philosophy of Barry Goldwater, and to a lesser
degree, Ronald Reagan. TEFRA was a mess, but it
cut the tax burden and increased tax revenue at the
same time, which is somewhat of a miracle. In
recent years, Republicans have tried to dismantle
large portions of the government, such as the
Department of Education, and to privatize other
parts of the federal government, such as the post
office, prisons, and social security.

Neither party has been particularly successful in
reducing the size of government nor in making it
more responsive to the citizenry, largely because of
the Civil Service constraints.  If we want to do
something to improve the federal government, Civil
Service is the first thing that needs to go. As it is,
our government is not run by Republicans or
Democrats, but by bureaucrats who are free to tell
their elected "superiors" to go fish. The people who
staff the congressional and senatorial offices, on the
other hand, are very good about responding to
problems presented by the electorate.

deke

--

RIP Adam Osborne, 1939-2003