[thechat] When is it time for war?

abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Tue Mar 25 21:14:35 CST 2003

On Tue March 25 2003 8:01 pm, Erik Mattheis wrote:
> When the UN Security Council authorizes it. Justification for the
> simplicity of the answer, the diplomats in the UN are a lot smarter
> than me regarding International relations, and I trust their judgment
> based on the track record of the UN.

The UN is basically toothless and always has been. The US and other countries
primarily use it when it works for them.

Most wars have been started due to treaties between countries -- one country
feels a threat, real or perceived, and that country will call on its allies
for aid.

That process preceded the UN.

Oh, and Erik, the part about the diplomats being smarter than you -- yup, you
got that right. 8-)

--
<abbey />