[thechat] A balance of opinion.

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed Mar 26 03:26:10 CST 2003

First off, a repetition of my original thought experiment:

You live in Iran, the most democratic Islamic country in the world. You
have been politically active and have seen your country make great
strides towards guaranteeing rights like people enjoy in the US. You
hear powerful people in the Pentagon talking about forcing a "regime
change" on your country. How would you feel?

Nowhere do Imply that the thought experiment takes place in a shining
city of democracy on the hill. As I understand things, the operative
authority in Iran varies from region to region: the democratic
government, military rule or Islamic mullahs. But it's getting better
on it's own, and I doubt you can refute that.

I don't have time to check out all the links you provide, but I stand
by my claim that Iran is evolving just fine, and will simply note that
that your "reality lesson #1" is hosted on angelfire. I'm sure I could
come up with countless sites hosted on Angelfire claim that the United
States is not a representative democracy (true being that SCOTUS
installed the Bush regime via judicial fiat), people are not guaranteed
equal rights (true being that a US citizen has been denied council due
to 9-11 paranoia),  and that woman are not equal to men in the US
(true, even when you ignore anatomical differences).

What I wish is that:

1. Pro-invasion people here would have the balls to come out and say
"I'm pro-invasion"
2. Someone would give me a logical explanation of why the
neoconservative's vision of American militarily enforced hegemony is
good for the World.
3. Someone would knock some sense into me and convince me that even
though my country has taken the first step toward world domination
through military force, I should spend a portion of my time attending
to my client's needs.

Regarding #3, I warn you, the argument would have to be impeccably
logical, as I have no choice but to reside on this planet and thing in
the long term.

--
-/erik/

Anti-invasion activism ideas:
<http://shockingelk.com/>

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my
contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the
spinal cord would fully suffice.

- Albert Einstein