[thechat] A balance of opinion.

Lauri Vain lauri_lists at tharapita.com
Wed Mar 26 11:09:06 CST 2003

Hi,

> > EXAMINE STATEMENT: "Iran not democratic"
> > RETURN FALSE
>
> <<<< TILT >>>>
>
> Iran reality lesson #1:
> Democracy has never been served to the Iranian people,
> neither by the Shah's regime nor by the present government.

While some points on your list were perhaps true (yet not a
justification for pressing your values onto somebody else using a war or
any other agressive measure, if that was what you were targeting at),
the first point doesn't carry any weight at all!

Democracy is not the only possible regime that works! The equasion
"non-democratic = false/bad" is flawed at best, plain stupid at worst.
As a matter of fact, democracy is still absolutely the wrong regime for
lots of regions (off the top of my head, I'd estimate 10-20% of the
world). The form of government that works in a particular region largely
depends very on the history, customs and religious backgrounds of that
region. You can't make all that change in a snap - it has to change by
itself and it's a long transistion. That was the case in the western
world and that will be the case everywhere else, if it is meant to be.

My point - absolutely claiming that democracy is the only way to go is
false! It might be the best option in some places, yet among the worst
in others.

Cheers,
Lauri