[thechat] Welcome to the Free World and have a nice day!

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed Mar 26 15:47:59 CST 2003

"Native American" is a generic government-created term supposed to be
more accurate (and it is, I guess). "American Indian" is still in
common use, especially amongst American Indians.

BTW, my daughter went to a Ananda Margda Hindu-ish pre-school where
she was not allowed to bring meat or eggs in her lunch.  Apparently
someone told her that in India, people don't eat meat...

One day she came home and said to me out of the blue.
"I'm a *real* Indian.  And *real* Indians eat meat."

See what happens when you let some crazy colonizer make up the rules
for everybody?

Erika