[thechat] Pedantry

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Wed Mar 26 17:49:40 CST 2003

Note: it looks like this message got eaten by the ether somewhere. I'm
reposting it mostly in the interest of completeness, and because I was truly
amazed by the direction this discussion was going. It's no longer terribly
relevant, though.

deke wrote:
> > Sheesh. This isn't debate, it's pedantry.
>
> I'm not insulted; "pedant" means schoolmaster.

A *perfect* example! Brilliant!

(I wasn't trying to insult you, I was just noting that the "debate" was
turning to trivial points.)

<Merriam-Webster>

pedant
Pronunciation: 'pe-d&nt
Function: /noun/
Etymology: Middle French, from Italian /pedante/