[thechat] women and oppression

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Wed Mar 26 19:16:44 CST 2003

You know, I think it's well and good to discuss our relative types of
oppression as it manifests itself in different countries...

but I wish people would be very careful about realizing that we see
everything colored by our own cultural bias.  How we view life,
death, marriage, work... etc... is all deeply colored by culture.

The attitude that you or I or any outsider could walk into anyone
else's home, land, or country and say: "You are doing this, that, and
this wrong.  Here let me show you a better way." -- that is the
height of arrogance.

It's paternalistic.  Governments do it, and so do individuals.

I know that there are women in various countries who want changes of
various types.  The changes need to start there, within the country.
Or not.

I had an Iranian (aka Persian) friend in college.  She said "First we
were forbidden to wear a shawl, and then we were forced to wear one."

In both cases, oppression.

Erika