[thechat] When is it time for war?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Mar 27 04:01:49 CST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Madhu Menon wrote:

> At 03:20 AM 27-03-03, deacon b. wrote:
> >I haven't bothered to notice whether you are anti-
> >war, or pro-war; I just noticed the offensive misuse
> >of statistics.
>
> Also: http://mattwelch.com/NatPostSave/Sanctions.htm

Reading that in detail, you pick out such things as:

"Increased mortality in the south, UNICEF concluded, was due to several
factors including a dramatic decrease in the breast-feeding of infants in
favour of bottle-only feeding."

and

"The chief causes? 'contaminated water [which is the usual culprit where
there are infant deaths in the 3rd world related to breast feeding being
replaced by bottle feeding, cf Nestle - Martin], inadequate
breast-feeding, poor weaning practices and inadequate supplies in the
curative health care system.'"

So a lack of imported baby formula and instead using home-grown breast
milk *reduces* infant mortality.

Cheers
Martin