[thechat] Tips on meeting a UK Relative for the first time

Quackamoe quackamoe at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 19:29:33 CST 2003

Friday April 4th I will be meeting my cousin Margaret
for the first time. She used to live in Preston but
is now in Chorley, both in Lancashire if the region
makes a difference.

She's pushing 70 and pretty much middle class as far
as I can tell. I know what to do with Swiss relatives
but I don't want to put her off. Do I hug her on first
meeting or is that a bit much?

Also, I'm sure there are things that Americans say to
UK friends and relatives that are anywhere from minor
annoyances to utterly intolerable. Let's make a list.

Things not to say:

   cheerio hip hup and all that rot
   stiff upper lip
   the colonies
   how was the flight across the pond?

Y'know, that kind of stuff. OTH, is there anything
that
we Yanks do that is particularly charming or
endearing?
We could make a second list, although I assume this
list will be much shorter than the first one.

Thanks,

Terry