[thechat] Global lightbulbs

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Fri Mar 28 08:43:14 CST 2003

Luther, Ron wrote:

> ... to give Tara the real answer
> to her question on why electrical 'stuff' can't be used willy-nilly from one
> place to another.

Just to clarify, I *do* know that there are different voltages in different
countries.

I even know that when you plug in an electric teakettle in England the water
boils in about 30 seconds as opposed to (what seems to be) 3 minutes over
here. Here, I have time to finish my cereal before the water is ready to
make tea. Over there I barely have time to sit down with my bowl and the
kettle is whistling! When I went over to England the voltage difference
totally screwed up my entire morning ritual ;-)

I also know that if you stick your finger in an electrical socket over there
you seriously risk death (that's why they have the switches next to the
sockets). Over here - chances are pretty good you'll just get a really nasty
shock.

But I'd never thought about trying to use a light bulb from here over there.
"What would happen to it?" I wondered. And I got some amazingly detailed
answers. Thanks everyone.

Regards,
Tara