[thechat] what the f**k is Islam?

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sun Mar 30 05:19:03 CST 2003

On Sunday, March 30, 2003, at 01:24 AM, Hugh Blair wrote:
> "Religion of every kind

I'm not  specifically targeting you as wrong, but rather that the
Western mindset most of us have grown up with makes it hard to
understand viewpoints which are different than "ours". Thus a new
thread.

Islam is not only a religion ... as Zeeshan has said and implied this
here many times before, Islam is a way of life that encompasses
everything: religion, government, law, ... everything! "Islam" in it's
closest English translation means "Peace". ...  we should use Zeeshan
as a bridge, not a dam.

Think about it: the problems we struggle with in our Western world:
law, abortion, taxes, education ... on and on ... they are all
encompassed and defined by the Koran.

Wouldn't it be beautiful if all of Mankind lived by the same set of
rules? This is what Mohammed strived for. Yes, he was a violent
warrior, but he lived in a time of war. However, amazingly,  he tried
to set rules by which the world could be set free from the endless
cycle of violence.

Muslims believe that one thing: faith in god is the rule by which all
Mankind should follow. And the Koran describes these rules.

Myself, I'd have to make a vast website to describe my thoughts on the
Western (or any) concept of "[G]od",  but I think it would start with
something like: "There is no 'God', but there is an organizing force
which humans can now not understand, but influences and maybe even
defines their behavior ...."

Dunno ... I guess maybe some people here would benefit from reading a
Presbyterian minister's sermon that I found while looking for something
else, (made me cry (I've been crying a lot lately)) ...

<http://www.pointpresbyterian.org/archives/000026.html>

-/erik/

Anti-invasion activism ideas:
<http://shockingelk.com/>

More than an end to war, we want an end to the beginnings of all wars.
-Franklin Roosevelt

If the only thing we still have to fear is fear itself, there is more
than enough to go around.
- R.C. Longworth