[thechat] Religion - a way of life (was: what the...)

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun Mar 30 15:48:41 CST 2003

Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I haven't studied Bible although I have some chapters of it in my PC in
> MS Reader eBook format. But I know that God never approved so-called
> "Killing all first-born in Egypt". It was Pheron (the king of Egypt) who
> ordered it.

wrong.  Exodus 12:29 ...

29 And it came to pass, that at midnight the Lord smote all the firstborn in
the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto
the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn
of cattle.

30 And Pharaoh rose up in the night, he, and all his servants, and all the
Egyptians; and there was a great cry in Egypt; for there was not a house
where there was not one dead.

31 And he called for Moses and Aaron by night, and said, Rise up, and get
you forth from among my people, both ye and the children of Israel; and go,
serve the Lord, as ye have said.

[http://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/Exd/Exd012.html]

Moses called down the plagues onto Egypt, God sanctioned and enacted them,
ergo God slayed the first born of the Egyptians.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like