[thechat] reporter fired for reporting

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Mar 31 10:06:02 CST 2003

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 09:40 AM, Bob Haroche wrote:
> Notably, he said the Iraq
> government had always been very cooperative with his ability to do his
> reporting. That struck me as so strange since every other Western
> journalist to describe what it's like to report from (pre-war) Iraq
> says that the government assigned 24/7 "minders" to the journalists to
> prevent them from having candid interviews with the population.

On the other hand, the "embedded" reporters are only allowed to do what
they're told and are not even allowed to use satellite phones. What's
the difference?

> These
> journalists said it was virtually imposssible to know what ordinary
> people thought for fear of being turned in by these "cooperative"
> minders.

Well, we're being fed BS: the story about Iraqis giving coalition
soldiers eggs and potatoes. Bull crap. They're on rations themselves
and if you read independent or Middle Eastern newspapers, you know that
not only is all of Iraq furious that they've been invaded, but the
entire Muslim world is. And most of the entire non-Muslim world is also
furious with the "anglo-american invaders".
--
-/erik/

Anti-invasion activism ideas:
<http://shockingelk.com/>

If the only thing we still have to fear is fear itself, there is more
than enough to go around.
- R.C. Longworth

More than an end to war, we want an end to the beginnings of all wars.
-Franklin Roosevelt