[thechat] reporter fired for reporting

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 14:12:27 CST 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Bob Haroche wrote:

Bob, this applies to almost every paragraph of yours.

Civilisations move from external power on the body (punishment) to a more
subtle, yet just as effective internal, psychological system of supression
(discipline). While I'll happily call that 'progress', I'm really not sure
that one methodology is more 'free' than another.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/014013722X

> Doesn't freedom of the press mean freedom to publish opinions contrary
> to the ruling powers?

I don't see that the US media and military is any more free than the Iraqi
one right now. Although the punishments are more subtle.

> On Friday there was a political firestorm at the White House over
> remarks
> by US Gen. Wallace that the US war plan was lacking in some respects
> ("The enemy we're fighting is not the enemy we war-gamed against.").

Interesting - I didn't see that. There's a dichotomy between the 2
positions:
White House: Iraq is a massive and immediate danger to the US
Pentagon: Iraq is near as dammit defenceless - this is going to be easy

Turns out they're both wrong...

> Despite Don Rumsfeld's assertions to the contrary, I'm sure Wallace
> was reprimanded and told in no uncertain terms to shut his mouth.

Cheers
Martin