[thechat] Powell & Blunkett

Bob Davis bob at bobdavis.org
Thu Apr 3 07:25:53 CST 2003

On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 04:37  AM, Martin Burns wrote:

> Here's a competition between the US secretary of state and the UK Home
> Secretary: Who has less clue?
>
> Blunkett:

Spin. I don't know - I haven't really been paying too much attention to
him.

> Powell:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2912469.stm
> Trying to get a UN resolution that post-legitimises the war, and EU
> money
> to channel into US companies to rebuild Iraq.

Well, that's the way it's being told. Another way it's being told is
that, since hostilities are still going on, they are keeping the
bidding to US firms that have already gone through the clearance
process.

Now, let me ask you this - how many contracts that get awarded to PWC
(or IBM - whatever it's called today) do not get 100% IBM personnel on
the job? Sub-contractors will get hired to do a lot of the work. They
can be from anywhere.

> Does he never learn? Is this supposed to restore good relations with
> the
> EU?

<inflammatory>
Am I hearing  that this "good relationship" is something to be bought?
I have this picture of some nameless EU minister standing under a
streetlight, saying, "Hey Sailor, looking for a good time?"  Ok, that's
kind of disturbing.....but if I make him look like John Cleese, it's
funny again.
</inflammatory>

Plenty of non-US companies will get in on the money. I bet even a
couple French companies do. I know they're all ready to help with the
oil.  In truth, there's just too much to do to limit the number of
hands we can have on the job.

Just what I've been hearing - in addition to the other side.

bob