[thechat] ad popup windows by evolt

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Sun Apr 6 10:42:47 CDT 2003

>> i'm pretty sure it's lists.evolt.org
>
> It's not.  A quick view-source on the index page
> you offered would show the absence of any Javascript
> code which proves it's not us.

yeah, i find it hard to believe too

of course, checking for a script was one of the things i did

i remain unconvinced that javascript in the source is the only
way a popup can be triggered

but i shall accept your assurance

> Are you service-packed-up properly?

yes sir, i use Windows Update and i install everything, including
stuff like directx 9 which i'm not even sure i need

last time it ran was 3 days ago

> Really. It's not. Run AdAware. Run whatever you like. But lay
> off evolt, 'cause it's not evolt. You may have spyware you picked
> up from somewhere else that's decided to trigger when you visit leo,
> or you may have spyware that flings a pop-up every 60 minutes, or
> you may have spyware that's doing something else completely.

those possibilities certainly crossed my mind too

my kids use this computer too, and while they are aware of the dangers of
answering "yes" to any alert, it's entirely possible that something got past
them and caused the popups before i could clean the system again

perhaps it was just coincidence that the popup seems to have happened on
lists.evolt.org and not other sites

but it did happen more than once on leo

i assure you i do not have any spybots now

john, give Search&Destroy a shot, it really is better than AdAware

rudy