[thechat] Log File Question

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Wed Apr 9 10:53:16 CDT 2003

Sean noted:

>>To be #1 in a google search is something; but to #1 for something as
>>marvelous as 'picture of parmesan cheese' is something else.
>>(Great picture btw.)

>>I got me to wondering if I could be #1 in a google search for something.

Hi Sean,

First a tip or two for finding them:
* Check your 'topic areas'. If your site is about ham, then check ham
related searches and see how you turn up.
* Check your log files. See how other people found your site and check
those phrases.  [I know I've found some surprises this way!]

Now for a 'contrarian' point of view:

High google rankings are cool ... but I think they can also be a monkey
on your back.  I've got three "techie" #1's at the moment:

- brio examples
- cold fusion examples
- examples of ASP

The first one I can live with, since it's a very narrow category.  I don't
think too many folks use Brio, and I think I have some pretty decent tips.
(I put the archive up as a reference for my own personal use.  I never
really thought about anyone else looking at them.) But I've gotten some
email from other Brio users recently, so I've spent quite a bit of time
over the last few weeks beefing up my Brio examples - adding screen shots,
sample code, more thorough explanations ... thinking more 'other' oriented.

The other two are complete embarrassments.  Ray and .jeff have forgotten
more cold fusion than I have ever learned ... and you'd have to be rather
kind to call my ASP "passable".  I put those sections up 3 years ago for
one (rather selfish) reason: so I could keep a straight face when telling
interviewers "Yeah, I can do CF/ASP."  *I* think those sections suck.  But,
because of the ranking I'm also feeling an obligation to review, revise,
and completely renovate those sections to be more 'deserving' of the ranking.

Uh ... in my "spare time" [tm] of course ...       ;-P

-----
Back on my 'off-topic' note: I'm going to look a little more
closely at my log files.  Maybe those 'odd' entries are being
caused by some setting in a 'global.asa' file when folks wander
into odd little ASP corners of my site? Ring a bell with anyone?
-----

RonL.
(What was it Spidey said? "With great ranking comes great responsibility.")