[thechat] SARS scare leaves HP Canada in limbo

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Fri Apr 11 14:31:13 CDT 2003

rudy asked:

>>ron, has this made the rounds of your office?  any of your folks been up to
>>toronto lately?

http://www.itbusiness.ca/index.asp?theaction=61&sid=51988

Whoa!

Thanks Rudy.  No - I hadn't seen that.  Rats, I had actually heard some
good things about our Markham office.

No ... travel has been pretty limited these days by budget constraints.
International travel particularly so.  {I talked to my boss about EUvolt.
He said he'd approve it if I could get the cost low enough. But because
it's international travel, I'd _just about_ need Carly's personal signature
on it -- so it ain't gonna be happening.}

We *do* have travel advisories in place ... in fact, I think I heard last
week that we are not allowing employees _or_ *non-employees* to come in for
meetings from areas like Hong Kong due to SARS.
{e.g. No visits from Asian supplier engineers for a while.}

RonL.
(Who _had_ spent the morning whining about being buried in 'boring crap'
like data reconciliation, feed mapping, and architecture instead of having
fun with development. I guess I'll stop whining for a few minutes.) {I have
had 9 doctor visits in the last 2 weeks ... but they're just trying to heal
my back up enough so I don't miss out on the golf outing next Monday.}