[thechat] the bible condems democracy !! according to swazi king

abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Fri Apr 25 09:52:11 CDT 2003

On Thu April 24 2003 7:40 am, Ashok Hariharan wrote:
> "there is not a single verse in the Bible which says there
> should be a president ruling a country," -- so presidents
> and democracy are bad

O.k., I'm not sure what the Aramaean is for president, but my NIV
bible probably doesn't have anything anywhere about presidents and
democracies.

However, the flip side of the swazi argument here could be the instance in the
Old Testament where the people of Israel got together and decided they wanted
a king. In my Bible, Samuel and the people worked very hard at persuading God
that the tribes should have a king. They got their king all right and that
was just a screaming success wasn't it? Eventually the monarchy disintegrated
and the people taken into captivity.

If nothing else, the Old Testament does have some great stories.
--
<abbey />