[thechat] Back to dark ages

Bob Haroche spambait at onpointsolutions.com
Tue Apr 29 11:03:52 CDT 2003

>> Isn't the French criminal justice system set up the same way --
>> Presumed guilty? Or is that an erroneous tidbit I learned years
ago?

> Maybe you've been reading Albert Camus' - 'The Stranger' lately??

Interesting catch there. I read that book a very long time ago, but I
do recall getting the impression from it that the French criminal
justice system was significantly different than the Anglo-American
one. I do realize it was fiction.

> there are few things
> more irritating than getting 1/2 way through a bound volume of Kafka
> only to find a page that says "that's where he stopped writing - by
> the way - here's an alternative writing of chapter 9, which may
> actually have been meant to be chapter 6 - we're not quite sure -
> so here's
> the entire book again in a different order" Rrrrrrr!>])

LOL. I share the frustration, especially since I really enjoyed Kafka
when I read him. Have you ever seen the movie Kafka with Jeremy Irons?
Thumbs up on that one.