[thechat] London From Space

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Wed Apr 30 17:41:30 CDT 2003

> Wasn't TerraServer originally supposed to demonstrate
> the capabilities of MS SQL Server?

here's a bookmark from 1998:

  http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,13644,00.html

(aside: interesting how a 5-year-old story is presented with a sidebar of
current news, e.g. SARS)

anyhow, here's the house where i used to live, taken from terraserver in
1999 (before they made it a paid service), not sure what the resolution is,
but you can obviously make out individual houses, in fact the blinking
circle is actually the tree on my front lawn --

  http://rudy.ca/EYfromspace4.gif

here's my current neighbourhood, at the highest free resolution (didn't feel
like spending actual money just to get in a bit closer);  the circle is my
apartment building (my apt looks out on that gorgeous ravine) --

  http://rudy.ca/glenwood.jpg

if you're interested in large databases, do a google for "jim gray" and
"petabyte"

rudy