[thechat] Fish do feel pain

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Fri May 2 09:42:12 CDT 2003

Martin notes:

>Elephants too, iirc - they exhibit behaviours consistent with grief.

Neat!  They are also good with the ULF 'rumbling'. And we haven't gotten
into the 'smelling water' trick of many species yet.

>I'm wondering - what's the difference between smell and taste?

Good point!  I was working off the 'classical' five senses. Perhaps its
time to revisit and update that classification. Smell and taste are
certainly intimately interwoven. (Asserts Ron vaguely remembering studies
where subjects with their nostrils blocked were unable to distinguish
the 'taste' between bits of chopped onion and bits of chopped apple.)

We also haven't gotten into the impact of the senses on other brain functions.
(Remembering older studies showing a strong link between smell and memory
as well as recent findings that smelling baked goods can suppress appetite
and help to lose weight.)

<g scene="Martin walks into a bakery">
shop keeper: "Can I help you good Sir?"
M: "No thanks Miss. I'm just here to sniff your muffins!"
<scene="Martin loses weight running down the street" />

See - it could work!

;-)

RonL.
(Who really has to get back to work ... Heck, I've got 3 more impossible
things to do before lunch!)