[thechat] Fish do feel pain

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue May 6 13:26:33 CDT 2003

Mike M responded to my rantings:

>>When you remove the spiritual from everything, what do you replace it
>>with?  The myth of objectivity.
>
>It's not a myth - some things can be proven within certain criteria,
>others can't.

There is the proving things within certain criteria.   there is still
the choosing of the criteria which is not an objective process.

I mean, not in any kind of absolute way... and if it isn't absolute,
how can it really be objective?

though in practice I agree.  Show me a scientific test (and not just
the summarized results thank you I want to see the sample and control
etc...) and that is more convincing than vague claims, of course...

>>Maybe we should argue about when a fetus become a human, maybe we should
>>argue about where life begins and ends... why doesn't science tell us the
>>ANSWER??  WHY WHY WHY????
>
>I don't think those are the kinds of questions that one should ask of
>science.

Where life begins and ends?  Then biology is not a science.  or?