[thechat] Fish do feel pain

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Wed May 7 05:49:30 CDT 2003

at issue:  fish feel pain and living things have a soul or spirit

my opinion:  people who disagree with, or have trouble accepting, these
concepts have obviously not been living on the same planet as the rest of us

question from james:  Is this really how you reason?

my answer:  reason? as in logic?  no, that is how i *feel*

madhu points to "appeal to belief" logical fallacy

my comment:  if many people believe X then of course it does not imply that
X is true

i only said that people who do not believe X have obviously not been living
on the same planet as people who do

morgan understands the concept and offers the piano as an example

bri wishes to know why my belief system is more valid than anyone else's

thanks, bri, but of course it isn't any more valid, but at the same time, it
is no less valid either

bri also suggests that i leave room for people who think differently than i
do or else this planet will get awfully boring

but of course i do, darling bri

it's a big planet and has room for all kinds of beliefs

all i suggested was that people who think fish feel no pain or that living
things have no soul or spirit are so alien, so incomprehensibly different,
so bereft of compassion, so anthropomorphically self-centred, that it is as
though they are from a different planet

my mistake was saying "different planet from the rest of us"

i shall now correct this to "different planet from me"

better?