[thechat] Fish do feel pain

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Wed May 7 06:59:36 CDT 2003

thanks for the clarification, madhu-from-jupiter

you said "You are of course entitled to your opinion. If you want to
convince other aliens among us, however, you need a more persuasive
argument."

it was not my intention to convince anyone, merely to add my voice to those
preceding me in the thread who felt that fish do feel pain and living things
do have a soul or spirit

as far as inanimate objects are concerned, i readily concede that their
possession of a soul or spirit is very much arguable

again, it is not my intention to change anyone's belief

and since you were the one who brought up the logical fallacy thing, i would
like to point out, if it isn't totally obvious by now, that i was not trying
to suggest that people who do not believe X should change their minds,
merely that they and i have beliefs that are so wildly divergent, that those
people might as well be from another planet

let's try it on a slightly different subject

"people who disagree with or have trouble accepting X have obviously not
been living on the same planet as me"

now instead of X = "fish feel pain" or X = "living things, and even some
inanimate objects, have a soul or spirit" let us try X = "it is wrong for
priests to bugger prepubescent altar boys"

the number of people who believe X does not, as logical fallacy points out,
make X true

it would not be my intention to change what those priests believe, and of
course i do leave room for them to share my planet, but if i should ever
meet one of them in person, i would have a hard time controlling my
inclination to beat the unholy shit out of him

logic has nothing to do with it

and fish do feel pain

rudy