[thechat] Hijack: Guitars (was: Re: Fish do feel pain)

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Fri May 9 08:28:52 CDT 2003

RonL sayeth amongst the snips:

> [Huh? I didn't know that.  I thought the ES-335T was hollow in the
> middle.  It has the 'trapeze' bridge just like your Guild.  I didn't
> realize it also had the center block.]

hmmm, every one i've seen has had the block. it looks hollow through the f
holes, but if you peek in at an angle you'll see it.

i used to have a gibson es-175, if you're ever looking for a guitar that
feedsback no matter what, i highly recommend a 175. i stuffed it with foam,
everything--sheesh.

in college, (i went to music school--stop laughing), they used to have those
little polytone amps for the guitar players to use, they were the worst for
feedback. we used to call them "polytoilets".

i have a weird amp right now, i have to take a pic of it. its a "duovox" i
used to think it was a vox, but someone told me it was a separate company.
it looks like a polytoilet, but doesn't act like one. it has two separate
channels, the only controls for both are: "vol, bass, treble, reverb" <--
that's right, it has two separate reverb coils!! closed back, so it only
really sounds good for jazz guitar, but i'm thinking about taking the back
off, and maybe running a delay pedal into channel two, with the reverb
cranking, and see what kind of weirdness might result. mwahwahwa

but in reality, i don't play guitar harldy at all anymore. i changed my
focus to piano in college, and am more into that these days. on the other
hand, i long to join some blues band and lay down solos all night...or a
weirdo experimental band, i used to play with a guy who tuned his guitar
differently every day:
http://morgankelsey.com/music/
down at the bottom, "Static Press 19" -- warning: it's pretty weird, not for
everyone, .jeff reported nauseua upon listening to the CD :o)

> My 'good' guitar is a hollow-body Guild Bluesbird.  ;-)  A buddy of
> mine has an old Starfire he likes a lot too.

ooooh nice! there's a vintage guy down in New Haven, CT, who specializes in
acoustic archtops from the turn of the century. i remember playing an 1890
something-or-other archtop down there, it was so sweet. they weren't priced
too bad either, mostly over a grand, but not more than 2-3000. someday, when
i'm rich....

> Speaking of old songs ... we used to run a Rhodes through a wah-wah
> pedal, to get the sound The Who used in the solo on 'Won't Get Fooled
> Again'. I'll bet your pianet would sound similar.

heh, i'll have to try that. my wah-wah pedal died from cathair and dust a
few years back, i gotta get a new tone pot and fix it..

nagrom