[thechat] Not acronyms, not abbreviations, but. . . ?

Sean ethanol at mathlab.sunysb.edu
Fri May 16 19:52:25 CDT 2003

]My friend and department alphageek just stopped by
]and asked this:  "Is there a word for acronyms that
]aren't pronouncable?"
]

Acronym-like groups of letters that are not pronounced as words, but rather
spelled out, are abbreviations.

See: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=abbreviation
2. A shortened form of a word or phrase used chiefly in writing to represent
the complete form, such as Mass. for Massachusetts or USMC for United States
Marine Corps.

HTH   =)

Sean G.
"I'd like to bury my face in two dozen 'Krispy Kreme' glazed donuts & just
lie there & think about Hello Kitty!"  --Zippy