[thechat] No-one likes us... we don't care (apparently)

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Sun May 25 18:18:26 CDT 2003

Hey all,

Martin wrote:
> However, this year, we got null points. Zero. Our song was pretty
> reasonable Euro-pop fare, so it can't be that.

Sorry Martin, but it was shithouse. It really was. The female singer
was so off-key it wasn't funny, the song was tepid, and the production
itself was mediocre at best. I wouldn't blame politics, I'd blame
a truly godawful entry.

The only one remotely as bad was that of host nation Latvia, which got
only one lot of sympathy votes.

I must admit, my choices from down here in sunny (ha!) Melbourne show
how truly out of touch with Euro-pop I am. I consider this, I must admit,
a good thing.

I didn't rate Turkey's winning entry at all; while it was a fair piece
of 'production', the song itself was very mediocre (yes, it sounded like
Holly Valance's 'Kiss Kiss'; remember, though, that Valance covered a
Turkish song anyway... hmmm...) and she wasn't even singing --
she was yelling.

Russia's Tatu clearly benefit a very great deal from their
post-production work, because they _really_ suck at singing live. Their
voices are terrible. I strongly suspect all their votes came from
thirteen-year-old girls and fifty-eight-year-old perverts.

As for Austria -- oh lord, that was painful. Maybe there was some witty
satire there that I didn't get, but I don't think so. Belgium was
disappointing too.

I liked Spain and Iceland, which polled well but not spectacularly.

My pick for best song was actually Estonia, with their "retro-rock"
'Eighties Coming Back', which was actually a very good tune indeed and
well-performed. As soon as I saw it, though, I knew that while _I_ liked
it, it wouldn't even come close to winning.

I was right.

Ah, screw it. I'm blogging this. What a gyp.

Paul.