[thechat] Why?

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Wed Jun 4 01:59:29 CDT 2003

At 12:20 PM 04-06-03, Ashok Hariharan wrote:

>mis-pronounce it as :
>"Gaan-di" without the 'H' sound in the "di".

Hey, one of the reasons I got my nickname was because the bloody Aussies
couldn't pronounce the "dh" in my name properly. :)
I hated being called "mudoo" and voluntarily asked to be called "Mad" (in
the grand Aussie tradition of using contractions for everything - Breakkie,
Uni, Tassie, etc.)

>"Gaan-di" ends
>up sounding like a body part.....

In Hindi, he means. ;)
(for those of you who don't speak the language, "gaand" is a rude way of
saying "arse" in Hindi.)

<plug type="shameless">

My 21-year-old brother (another Matrix geek - ewww) has a new blog at
http://www.upsaid.com/m_demon
If you want some relief from my language nazi tirades, you can read some of
his stuff. He doesn't care so much about grammar.

</plug>