[thechat] nature of ignorance (was: Why?)

Cory Preus cory_preus at cnt.com
Wed Jun 4 16:14:51 CDT 2003

> How much do you know about Prophet Muhammad?

"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled
with falsehoods and errors."
- Thomas Jefferson

Keep in mind I'm not addressing the answer to the question, but the nature
of the question. It isn't a fair question to ask. Say "lots", and one could
be construed as obviously ignorant -- probably a correct assessment. Say
"nothing", and it could be taken as not educated enough -- when the person
making this judgment is probably the more ignorant of the two.

I've seen plenty of the unfortunate assessment over last several days where
the "lots" and "nothing" answers are given the same retort -- when in fact a
"nothing" answer is more often a person who is willing to learn no matter
what their breadth and depth of knowledge is than a purportedly educated
lad.

Given this, *man* is too fallible -- too human -- to make judgments. Yet we
do it all the bloody time. And that, my friends, is my own biased opinion. I
personally only hope to become less "educated."

Regards,
Cory