[thechat] [Spoilers] Re: Matrix 2

Martin martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 07:16:38 CDT 2003

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Garrett Coakley wrote:

> To be honest, when I first went to see it I came out of the cinema
> feeling pretty disappointed. I remember when the first one came out of
> nowhere and blew everyone away and I guess I was a little naive to
> expect Reloaded to have the same effect.

I think part of that is that the *major* mindfuck (ie the entire Matrix
scenario) is already out there.

> It was always gonna suffer from the fact that it's the middle episode

...and suffered from a larger budget (restrictions tend to encourage
creativity... and plot concepts are generally less budget heavy than
effects)...

> and it's introducing lots of new facets to the universe (pay attention
> during The Architects speech), and I can see why Revolutions is coming
> out in Novemeber, because at the end you're sitting there going
> '????... nooooo! you bastards!'

Oh yeah. Definitely. The ending started to go down eXistenZ levels of
reality directions.

> As for the set pieces... the car chase is one of the best sequences I've
> seen in cinema for a long long time.

Yep. Although as a *dramatic car chase* the art hasn't actually moved on
in a long time. Compare with the Blues Brothers chases, 25 or so years ago
(no, really, it was filmed in the 70s).

> Oh, and if you get a chance, it's well worth watching the Animatrix
> epsiodes. They really help flesh out the world and explain a few bits in
> the film that you may not pick up on.

Now on DVD

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008LDPU/ref=nosim/evoltorg02-20
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000099635/ref=nosim/evoltorg02-20