[thechat] Re: New House Re: Beervolt Edinburgh Re: Mangoes

Martin martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Jun 18 09:19:47 CDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Cheryl Baringer wrote:

> Hi Martin,
> The house looks lovely. Welcome to the suburbs.

*grin* it's a wee town:
http://www.easyweb.co.uk/Members/martin/blog/Blog_Post.2003-05-05.1620
some 30 miles outside the city:
http://www.multimap.com/map/places.cgi?quicksearch=dunbar

> I'm confused about how it's built. Are the external walls JUST brick?

Yep, I think so (although there *may* be brieze-block internal to that),
with timber & plasterboard partitions.

> In this area, a house is built with wood framing, all the walls are
> framed in, the roof goes on, sheathing goes on the outside, THEN the
> brick goes on. From the pictures, it appears that brick has already been
> applied, without framing the upper floor. So what holds it up?

Solid brick and/or brieze-block, built as load-bearing walls, not just a
skin. Timber-framed buildings are a bit more flimsy (although quicker &
cheaper to build).

Cheers
Martin