[thechat] Kazaa

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at softhome.net
Wed Jun 18 15:53:49 CDT 2003

From: "Terry Fowler"

> 1. This thing is an absolute resource hog. Not mention
>
>    the spyware I've heard it contains.

My system is weaker than yours. I use iMesh 3.x for file sharing. It is also a
resource hog but not as much as Kazaa in your system. I still can keep ten to
fifteen windows open along with iMesh without bringing system resources below
10%. iMesh, when opened alone and without any other software window, takes the
resources from 89% to 40%. It normally has 1100000 to 1500000 users online.
Spywares:
Yes, iMesh does certainly contain spywares. Many of them appear in Add/Remove
Programs (Windows 98 box). One can remove them from there.
Some months ago, my system began to crash whenever I opened My Computer. I
consulted some MVP's. They told me that perhaps I had flt.dll file in WINDOWS
directory and iMesh creates this file. I unregistered and deleted this file and
got my system back without uninstalling iMesh. The most common spyware that
comes with it is CommonName. It is very tricky. It sometimes appears in
Add/Remove Programs and sometimes not. For more information about CommonName,
visit http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/CommonName.html. I had this spy on my
system but I removed it from Control Panel and by registry editing.

Hope this helps.
--
Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://szh.envy.nu/