[thechat] Who kidnapped my Senator?

Martin martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Jun 19 07:38:04 CDT 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Luther, Ron wrote:

> Terry Fowler answered:
>
> >>When I want "religious" music I fire up some Handel or
> >>Bach or Faure or some hymns by the MTC.
>
> +1 on the Bach and Handel ... I'll have to look into the others. I'm
> not familiar with them.

With Faure, start with the Requiem (you know Mozart's requiem, right?).
Mozart also did a really cracking re-orchestration of Messiah.

Other stuff *well* worth listening to:
Palestrina: Missa Papa Marcelli
Tallis: Spem in Alium
Vaughan-Williams: G Minor Mass, or Hodie
(RVW arranged (and wrote not a few of) almost all the traditional versions
of the popular christmas carols)

For contrast, try some Jamie Macmillan - contemporary (and very
listenable) composer who's done a fair bit of religeous music:
http://www.classical.net/music/comp.lst/acc/macmilln.html
Try the Galloway Mass if you can find it.

Cheers
Martin