[thechat] Pride (and $50) at Steak

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Mon Jun 23 08:21:39 CDT 2003

Madhu Menon asked:

>>So RonL and BobD, have you guys taken up the 72-ounce steak challenge or do
>>we send aardvark to do the job? :)

Hi Madhu,

Not me ... sounds like a job for someone younger ... someone who still has that
"hollow leg" thing working!

[Heck, I brought home half my small ribeye from TLC Saturday night. Although
I _did_ finished off my half order of 'range rattlers' {roasted Jalapeno peppers
filled with a nice Gulf shrimp and cheddar jack cheese} -- yum!]
http://www.texaslandandcattle.com/men.htm

Several million years ago I was at a nice restaurant in Denver with a group
from a technical training class on statistical sampling. This place had a
somewhat similar deal on a *huge* prime rib. [The plates were more 'chargers'
than plates ... the ribs were 2" thick ... and the rib completely overflowed
the plate! It was impressive. It was a pretty expensive place as well.]  One
of our folks actually finished his ... and they brought him a second one -
same size - no charge. {Although he still had to pay for the 1st one.  Oh,
this place also had a $39 peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the menu as
well ... it was definately a 'red meat' kind of place!}

There used to be some ice cream places in Minnesota and Washington D.C. that I
think had similar deals. I think "Bridgeman's" was the name of the place in
Duluth - had a 'La La Palooza Sundae' on the menu that I recall being pretty
large. Heck I found the 'Cowards La La Palooza' intimidating!

RonL.
<aside>
I once came down with a very sudden and very severe virus. I was 14 or so. I
remember feeling a little poorly around lunchtime ... by the next morning I
had lost quite a few pints of blood and had been admitted for what turned out
to be a week stay in the hospital. [When I overheard the doctors discussing
blood transfusions I decided to get better quickly!]  ;-)  Anyway ... I
recovered, but there were side effects: for the next year I could barely
speak above a whisper. (Severe sudden illnesses sometimes result in atrophied
vocal cords - just what you want for attending high school.)  [Heh. Just my
damn luck ... Poe's "William Wilson" was on our reading list that year!]
The second side effect is that I can no longer stuff myself like a pig at a
meal ... it results in a bit of a relapse.  I still *enjoy* a good meal ... I
just have to take it a little easier on myself.
</aside>