[thechat] Bill Frist on the Iraq War: WMD wasn't the main reason ...

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Fri Jun 27 12:41:10 CDT 2003

Martin wrote
>ermmm 'sovereign state' concept mean anything...?

How did we get from 13 wee colonies to where we are today?

Look at the whole span of US history, and you will have your real
answer to that (rhetorical) question.

The US takes what it wants by discounting those that have it already.

They (the victims of the hour) are not worthy of their
land/children/resources... and we are worthy.  It is our DUTY to take
control of these things.  We must do so in order to assure safety,
peace, and harmony in the world.

Sometimes it means invasion/kidnapping and re-education/occupation...
of course, you have to prime the public for these things, first a
little smear campaign, some strategically told stories, a few little
lies... get the masses into a froth... paint a scary picture,
dehumanize, elaborate on the costs of leaving these bad guys alone...
draw a little target on their heads and go to town.

Sovereignty, how can we respect the sovereignty of rogues and
rapscallions?  We're doing them a favor by occupying their land,
re-educating their children, helping them market their resources.
duh!

It's how we have always operated.

I don't know if European states operate this way (perhaps not so much
anymore), but what I don *not* understand is how some European and
American heads of state so serenely accepted Bush administration
claims at face value, even to the point of (feigning?) surprise when
it all turns out to be lies.  Can they be that naive?  Were they just
trying to be polite?  Did they know all along, but played the game so
they could seem to have reserved judgement and trusted the word of
the oh-so-wise and beneficent U.S., only to be appropriately shocked
and indignant when the true facts emerged...  perhaps they just
trying to play both sides of the fence.

maybe I'm cynical...  but it's really hard for me to believe that
anyone could seriously look at US military actions over the span of
our history, and truly feel surprised about any bit of this...

Erika