[thechat] Irony - your cut out and keep guide

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Jun 29 02:50:59 CDT 2003

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,985375,00.html

"There are a few reasons why we think the Americans have no sense of
irony.
[B]ecause we think Canadian Alanis Morissette is American, and she
proved some time ago, with her song Ironic, that she didn't know what
irony meant (this is so ironic - first, because we think we're the more
sophisticated and yet don't know the difference between America and
Canada, second because America sees Canada as such a tedious sleeping
partner, and yet Canada is subversively sending idiots into the global
marketplace with American accents. Of course, I'm being ironic.
Canadian accents are not the same as American ones!)"

Cheers
Martin