[thechat] Phillip Pullman

Terry Fowler quackamoe at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 14:22:40 CDT 2003

Well, my daughter and son were taking turns on Harry
Potter yesterday and there wasn't anything interesting
on tv and then I saw this book that I'd gotten for my
12yod a few months ago. I was at Borders and found the
resident scifi/fantasy expert and asked for
suggestions
and he pointed me at Phillip Pullman. My daughter gave
it rave reviews and last week my wife started reading
it and gave it comparable marks.

So I picked it up and read the first two chapters.
Just
based on that I now intend to buy and read everything
this person has ever written. To classify "The Golden
Compass" (after only reading two chapters) I would say
it's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Harry
Potter Meets The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I find that the most immediately noticed difference
between Rowling and Pullman is that the latter can
write. Meaning, his prose is wonderful. When I think
of
what I like about HP, JK's use of language isn't one
of
the first things to come to mind. Anybody out there
familiar with this guy?

terry