[thechat] S A T Movies

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Mon Jul 7 07:36:27 CDT 2003

Morgan Kelsey noted:

>>you might like the sci-fi movies from the 1950s as well.

>>my personal favorite is "The Day the Earth Stood Still"
>>featuring a large, shiny, evil, and mysteriously immobile robot named,
>>"Klaatu".

Hmmm ... I thought Syed was looking for for current 'action' sci-fi flicks,
like Alien, the Fifth Element, Star Wars, stuff like that.

But Ooooo ... thread warping into an old sci-fi "B" movie theme! ;-)  Cool!

+1!  "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is fabulous. [Although, actually,
I think the robot was named Gort. "Klaatu Barratus Nicto" was the
'phrase that pays' to deactivate the robots and save your butt when they
come back at some future point in time to clean up our mess.]

The original "The THING!" (with James Arness in his first film role) is
another classic ... one of my favorites ... Scotty Reston, "Watch the Skies!"
... super film.

Dang!  Almost forgot to mention it.  My all time favorite 'old skool' sci-fi
flick?  "Forbidden Planet"!  The Krell. 'monsters from the id', Robbie the
Robot. Leslie Neilson, Walter Pidgeon, Ann Francis, Earl Holliman.  Solid
story. Super cast. One of the very best of the sci-fi genre!

I'd nominate "Them" as the best of the many 'radiation causes giant bugs'
movies. Actually a pretty good flick.

I'll go with an odd flick as a sleeper; "The Navy vs The Night Monsters".
Despite the incredibly stupid title, it's actually pretty neat ... well ...
if it's 80 minutes long, the first 70 minutes or so are pretty good -- I
didn't think the ending was that great.

Other possibilities for further warping Syed's young mind; "Day of the
Triffids", "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman", "The Blob" (Steve McQueen!),
"Godzilla" (the original with Raymond Burr) ... [I don't think he's ready
for "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" or "Plan 9 from Outer Space" yet!]

... and then there are always the early horror films ... Michael Landon's
"I was a Teenage Werewolf" and the rest.   ;-)

Trivia Question: Frank Zappa's old song "Cheapnis" makes fun of the old
looooow budget sci-fi flicks. IIRC it was written after Frank watched an
old movie featuring a monster in a cave down by the beach ... the 'monster'
looked like an inverted ice cream cone and the budget was sooooo looooo I
hear you could see the workers rattling the 2 by 4's to make the 'monster'
move.  Anybody know the name of that movie?  {I think I saw part of it once -
it was horrid!}

RonL.
(Who wasted a lot of afternoons watching "B" movies!)