[thechat] S A T Movies

deacon b. web at master.gen.in.us
Tue Jul 8 02:34:50 CDT 2003

> My personal all-time favourite is one called
> "Damnation Alley"-- it had this really terrible
> actor called jan-michael vincent,some of the
> "breath-taking" special effects included a really
> cool looking truck and a  scene where mutant
> cockroaches eat a human being alive....

Roger Zelazny wrote a wonderful story about an
outlaw biker named "Hell Tanner". It was his real
name. When he was born, his mother died, and
when they asked his father what to name him, he
said "Hell!" and walked out of the hospital, never to
be seen again. Hell Tanner had his name tattooed
across his hand, one letter per knuckle.

But in the movie, Tanner didn't have a first name.

In Zelazny's story, Mr. Denton, who is secretary of
Traffic of the nation of California, offers Tanner the
choice of prison or of trying to drive across the
country to deliver Hoffakine serum to the citizens of
Boston, who were dropping like flies. Since the
apocalypse, there were terrible winds which made
flying impossible, and even radio communications
were pretty iffy. A guy from Boston died trying to
bring in the appeal for help, and it was pretty likely
that anyone trying the return run would die.

In the movie, Tanner (Jan Michel Vincent) was
apparently in the military and he, along with Major
Denton (George Peppard) are on a Sunday jaunt in
search of communities that might have survived. Or
maybe they are just taking a Sunday drive. It isn't
really clear that there is any urgency involved.

In Zelazny's story, there are three vehicles, each
with two drivers - except that Tanner wounds his
brother Denny, who is supposed to be his co-driver,
out of concern for his safety. All right then, he is told,
you drive alone. They get to the plains states and
there are terrible tornadoes. Everybody batten down
the hatches, comes the order. Not me, says
Tanner. I ain't gonna be no sitting duck. I want to
outdrive these suckers. Try it and we'll burn you,
warns the commanding officer in another vehicle.
Not when it's less than obvious that you're right and
I'm wrong. Tanner takes off and the other vehicles
are never heard of again.

It's a big ATV in the movie, more cutesy than
terrifying, and it has all the comforts of home.
Maybe it has more.

In the novel, the vehicle breaks down, and Tanner
gets the spares out of the trunk. Not spare tires.
Bikes. Eventually, Hell has to fight the Studs MC,
who thinks he's got a nice bike, and doesn't believe
in his story about the serum. He wipes out most of
the gang, except for Cornelia, aka Corny, a bimbo
who is good for relaxation.

No sex in the movie, best I can remember. IMDB
says that Dominique Sanda was in the credits, but
darned if I can remember her.

In the Zelazny movie, he ends up making it to
Boston after fighting all sorts of menaces, ranging
from good citizens to bikers to mutated animal
monsters. The citizenry is pleased, and they put up
a statue in his honor. At the unveiling, however, it
turns out that the statue has been defaced - by
Tanner.

Hell of a great book. Roger Zelazny can really write.
George Lucas could *really* make a great movie
from this one. Jack Smight directed some good stuff
before he did this one - he did Midway, Airport 1975,
The Secret War of Harry Frigg, Harper, and a lot of
good TV including Hitchcock, McCloud, Banacek,
Madigan, Naked City, Twilight Zone - but only six
movies in the 12 years after he made Damnation
Alley in 1977, and all of them were highly
forgettable.

--
HTTP://GENEROUS.NET  The web's best personal
Free to place, free to browse, free to reply.