[thechat] S A T Movies

Seb Potter seb at poked.org
Tue Jul 8 07:31:40 CDT 2003

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 19:05:28 -0400, rudy <rudy937 at rogers.com> wrote:

>> Right, that's me all trivia-d out for that film. Next?

Right rudeboy, you asked for it...

Soylent Green was Edward G Robinson's last film. Ironically, Robinson knew
he was dying when he performed in the scene in which his character also
faces death.

The technical consultant for the film was Frank R. Bowerman, who was
president of the American Academy for Environmental Protection at the time.

One of the scenes of the "beautiful earth" shown to Sol as he is dying is
an opening shot from Far from the Madding Crowd (a flock of sheep on a
green hillside).

The scene where Thorne and Roth share a meal of fresh food was not
originally in the script, but was ad-libbed by Charlton Heston and Edward G
Robinson at director Richard Fleischer's request.

The videogame in Simonson's apartment, "Computer Space", was one of the
first coin-operated videogames, manufactured by Nutting Associates in 1971
and designed by Nolan Bushnell, who later founded Atari and designed
"Pong."

One set of scenes in the original release, where a second family is housed
with Thorne and Roth, was deleted from later copies of the film.

Coincidentally, the director's surname, Fleischer, is German for butcher.

Soylent Green was based on Harry Harrison's "Make Room! Make Room!" novel.

When U.S. companies begin marketing their products in Africa, it is common
practice to have a picture on the label of what is inside, since most
people there can not read English. Gerber Baby Food was not aware of this,
and ran into a problem, since the photo on their label is of a cute baby.

Bud Westmore, who did makeup in Soylent Green also did makeup in: Abbott
and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer Boris
Karloff, Man of a Thousand Faces, The Monolith Monsters, The Mole People,
Revenge of the Creature, Tarantula, Abbott and Costello Meet Dr Jekyll and
Mr Hyde, and It Came From Outer Space.

The Buffy Episode "Doublemeat Palace" (based on Soylent Green) finds Buffy
investigating the secret ingredient of the doublemeat burgers, which turn
out to be vegetarian. (As in without meat, as opposed to made from
vegetarians. Mmmm... cornfed...)

In the Simpsons episode "Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie" Homer is heard to
say "mmmmm... soylent green". In another of Matt Groening's shows,
Futurama, there's an episode called 30% Iron Chef, where Bender enters a
cooking competition. The compulsory ingredient is Soylent Green, to which
the chief of the Harlme Globetrotters says "my kind of people". Later in
the episode we find out that the body of Martha Stewart (now just a head in
a jar) has been "food-economically recycled".

Well, that's about all I can find at the moment.

- seb

--
http://poked.org