[thechat] Next Anime Step?

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Tue Jul 8 15:09:16 CDT 2003

Hi Folks,

I don't know how all the 'old movie' talk resparked my fledging interest in
anime ... but it did.

After finding DVD copies of 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' and 'Attack of the
Killer Tomatoes' for my sister ... I started looking at the anime offerings
again.

I have Princess Mononoke (Stunning), Spirited Away (Simply Outstanding),
Kiki's Delivery Service (not up with the 1st two - but still pretty good fun),
and Castle in the Sky (which I don't really care for very much).

I was thinking along the lines of Cowboy Bebop - the Movie, Ghost in the Shell,
and maybe Akira.

(Grave of the Fireflies sounded a little too depressing.)

Decent choices as a next step?  Or is there something better I should be
considering?  Evangelion? (Which the heck one?) Ninja Scroll?   ???

<bonus question>
Are these Amazon 'zShop' things for real? Offering a 7 disc Cowboy Bebop set
for $35?? (The 'normal' Amazon link is 6 discs for $99 vs retail of $180.)
</bonus>

Thanks!

RonL.