[thechat] Next Anime Step?

**1st Vamp** wes at pmason.karoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 16:05:36 CDT 2003

My vote goes to "Rurouni Kenshin", or "Samurai X" as it's US edit is known.
Pick up the "Trust" (Volume 1) and "Betrayal" (Volume 2) DVD's of Samurai X and you have a
brilliantly constructed tale of love and emotional bonds, as well as tragedy and hope,
seeded with amazing katana sword fighting scenes and good all round dubbing and score work.

A little bit for everyone (except mechs and tentacles :P ).

- --
1stVamp
(Wesley Aaron Mason)

[ Site at somewhere :: http://1stvamp.org/ ]
[ Webcomic from nowhere :: http://gfbowl.com/ ]

Tuesday, July 8, 2003, 9:09:16 PM, Luther, Ron wrote:

> Hi Folks,

> I don't know how all the 'old movie' talk resparked my fledging interest in
> anime ... but it did.

> After finding DVD copies of 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' and 'Attack of the
> Killer Tomatoes' for my sister ... I started looking at the anime offerings
> again.

> I have Princess Mononoke (Stunning), Spirited Away (Simply Outstanding),
> Kiki's Delivery Service (not up with the 1st two - but still pretty good fun),
> and Castle in the Sky (which I don't really care for very much).

> I was thinking along the lines of Cowboy Bebop - the Movie, Ghost in the Shell,
> and maybe Akira.

> (Grave of the Fireflies sounded a little too depressing.)

> Decent choices as a next step?  Or is there something better I should be
> considering?  Evangelion? (Which the heck one?) Ninja Scroll?   ???

> <bonus question>
> Are these Amazon 'zShop' things for real? Offering a 7 disc Cowboy Bebop set
> for $35?? (The 'normal' Amazon link is 6 discs for $99 vs retail of $180.)
> </bonus>

> Thanks!

</snip>